Vegan Cinnamon Banana Protein Pancakes
Pancakes, pancakes, pancakes. It’s a tough one, but I think pancakes are officially my favourite when it comes to breakfast (at least for now)! The flavour combinations are endless, not to mention the variety of toppings too. For those of you who know, you know that I’m a fully fledged #PancakeSunday girl. Over the last few years, no matter what has been going on in my life, I’ve always tried to find time to whip up a batch of my Sunday favourites. It's my time for me, my time to nourish. The process of making my weekly pancakes has become a form of stability to get me through stressful periods. Chaos may surround me (emotionally, or literally in the case of last year's shared kitchen for 6 busy girls), but nothing will stop me from scurrying around the kitchen to make that plate of Sunday deliciousness.
Anyway, back to business. Today’s recipe. Lots of you have asked on Instagram how I make my pancakes, so here is the first of many pancake recipes to come here at My Life Is For Living. These were actually my first attempt at vegan pancakes (as I’m participating in Veganuary) and so I’ve kept them simple (both for my benefit and yours)! Nevertheless, the worked a treat and tasted delicious. Warm, satisfying, and packed full of goodness - I hope you like them as much as I do!
Vegan cinnamon banana protein pancakes with berries, sliced banana and peanut butter.
Time: 20 minutes
Serves: 1 person (makes 6-7 pancakes)
Vegan. Dairy free. Gluten free.
• 35g gluten free flour (rice, buckwheat, or all purpose)
• 2 tbsp unflavoured protein (I used Pulsin pea protein, but a vanilla protein blend would also work well)
• 2 tbsp ground flaxseed with 6 tbsp water (a.k.a "flax eggs")
• 1 ripe banana, mashed
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 1 tsp cinnamon
• A pinch of sea salt
• 120ml almond milk with 1 tsp apple cider vinegar (to help with the fluffiness!)
• Coconut oil, for frying
Toppings – whatever you fancy! Here’s what I went for this time:
• 1 tbsp peanut butter
• Fresh berries
• Sliced banana
• Start by making your 'flax eggs'. Simply mix 2 tbsp of flaxseed with 6 tbsp water in a small bowl. Leave in the fridge for at least 20 minutes to thicken and form a gel (or even better, prepare the night before and leave in the fridge overnight). *For some, this may be a slightly new concept, so here’s a picture of mine just before I made my pancakes!
• In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, protein powder, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
• Add the mashed banana, flax eggs and almond milk, and mix well until no lumps remain.
• Heat a small amount of coconut oil in a frying pan (making sure to get the pan nice and hot to start with) and then dollop two heaped tablespoons of mixture into a frying pan to form each pancake. I usually fit around 3-4 in each batch.
• Now turn the head DOWN. The trick here is to cook your pancakes 'LOW and SLOW'.
• Cook for 2 minutes, or until bubbles begin to appear on the top, then gently flip over and cook for a further minute on the other side.
• Remove the first batch from the heat and place to one side.
• Repeat this process until no batter remains, taking care as the next batch will cook a little faster.
• Finally, add your desired toppings and then serve straight away whilst still warm!
I'd love to see how you get on with my first recipe, so feel free to tag me @mylifeisforliving, use the hashtag #mylifeisforliving, or comment below if you give them a try. Of course, there's no need to wait for Sunday as making pancakes for breakfast shouldn't need any excuse!
Until next time,