Curried cheezy squash pasta
Good morning and happy Monday! I thought I’d share this first thing to kick start the week to give you all a bit of meat free Monday inspiration. I’ve recently rediscovered my passion for experimenting in the savoury kitchen, so I hope you like this one!
Curried cheezy squash pasta. I know what you might be thinking. Curry? Pasta? A cheezy flavour? Please withhold judgement. All I’m asking is for you to try this one before you comment.
So, how did this recipe come about? On Saturday, I’d been debating over whether to make a butternut squash curry, but then I ended up spending the morning stuck at my desk attempting to finish my referencing for my dissertation (*note to self, don’t leave it all to the end) and ran out of time. By the time I’d found all my references online, I was hungry and ready for lunch. I wanted a quick meal. The result? This slightly unusual combination, which actually tastes a whole lot better than it sounds!
This plant based pasta dish makes a perfect quick lunch or dinner. Honestly, this sauce though… It’s comforting, but packed full of flavour. It’s quick, easy, and delicious.
I went for chickpea pasta (it’s expensive for pasta, but I just love the taste) and I like it a little al dente, but any pasta would work!
I don’t know the exact nutritional breakdown of this dish, but it certainly has a good serving of plant based protein in it, with the mixture of tahini and nutritional yeast, and the pasta too.
The recipe requires a blender… I used the large cup of my Ninja Kitchen (the same as the large Nutribullet cup), but any blender should do! Please just make sure there’s enough room for the sauce to whizz up without getting stuck! Oh, and don’t forget to use a spatula to scrape all that leftover sauce into your saucepan, because #nofoodwaste.
Curried cheezy squash pasta
Time: 25 minutes
Serves: 1 (easily doubled)
Vegan, Dairy Free, Gluten Free (option)
- 150g butternut squash
- 1 heaped tbsp. tahini
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast (3 tbsp)
- ½ tsp garam masala
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp yellow mustard
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- A splash of non-dairy milk
- 100g green vegetables (I used kale sprouts)
- 100g pasta of choice
- Bring a large saucepan of water to boil.
- Peel and slice the butternut squash into cubes and place them into the boiling water.
- Prepare your chosen green vegetable as required (I steamed mine over the squash).
- Once the squash is cooked (about 10 minutes), remove it and rinse to cool.
- Using the same boiling water (if desired), add your pasta and cook according to the pack’s instructions (usually about 7-10 minutes).
- Whilst the pasta is cooking, make the sauce. Transfer the cooked squash to a high-speed blender. Add the tahini, nutritional yeast, spices, salt + pepper and a splash of milk. Blend on high until creamy and smooth. Taste and adjust as desired.
- Once the pasta is cooked, drain it and then return it to the pan.
- Mix in the butternut sauce and greens.
- Serve straight away whilst still warm.
The recipe serves one, as it was a solo lunch for me, but it would be easily doubled if you’re cooking for two or if you’d like leftovers for the next day.
If you try this, then please let me know! I’m loving your recent photos and tags on Instagram, so as usual feel free to tag me @mylifeisforliving or comment below.
Until next time,